Navigation Bar     
 

This is an example of the I.A.Recordings Industrial Archaeology MapNotes for one British Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 series map.

We have produced these notes over the years for our own use as a concise digest of industrial sites in a given area.

Map 203 covers Land's End, the South-western extremity of the Cornish peninsula. As you would expect, most of the historic industry in Cornwall is tin or copper mining!

Each numbered entry has a National Grid Reference (NGR) code, such as SW 697 494. This code is the coordinate system of the British Ordnance Survey (OS) and may be used to locate a site on any map printed with an NGR grid. For more information on OS maps, see the Ordnance Survey web site.


Notes for Ordnance Survey 1:50 000 map Number 203


The default reference source for these notes is:
Mining Sites in Cornwall & South-West Devon by Barry Atkinson. (Highly recommended)

The following abbreviations are used in these notes to indicate other sources of information:

ASAP= Around St. Agnes and Perranporth, B. Acton
BM32= British Mining series No.32, N.M.R.Soc.
BP= B.P. book of I.A., Neil Cossons
CMDA= Cornish Mining Development Association annual report
CPE= Cornish Pumping Engines, Trevithick Society
DK= Dave Kinrade
ECM = Exploring Cornish Mines, K. Brown
EHA= Engine House Assessment, Mineral Tramways Project
ET= Edwin Thorpe
EX3= Exploring Cornish Mines Vol.3, K.Brown & B.Acton
GIASB= Guide to IA sites in Britain, Minchinton
HCMSAS= Historic Cornish Mining Scenes at Surface, J.Trounson
IASOB= I.A. Sites of Britain, A. Burton
KL= Kelvin Lake
MICT= Mining in Cornwall Today, Cornish Chamber of mines
MIC1= Mining in Cornwall Vol.1, J.Trounson
MIC2= Mining in Cornwall Vol.2, J.Trounson
MTP= Mineral Tramways Project leaflet
NT= National Trust pamphlet on specific site
OS = Information deduced from the O.S. map
OU= Open University
ROAR= Remains of a Revolution, Burton
SCM= South Crofty Mine, Allen Buckley
TTA= Richard Williams & Trevithick Trust Account
YG= Yesterday’s Golcondas, R.H.Bird

mmm = Featured in I.A.Recordings DVD compilation "'Mongst More Mines"
mmme = Featured in I.A.Recordings 3-DVD set "'Mongst Mines and Mine Explorers"
AE mmme = Aerial views in "'Mongst Mines and Mine Explorers"
vis = Visited by I.A.Recordings

Engine piston diameter measurement: 1" = one inch ~ 25mm
Engine piston stroke measurement: 1' = one foot ~ 305mm

CAUTION
Most sites are visible from a public right of way.
Some sites are on private property and permission to view should be obtained.
Some sites are potentially dangerous, especially mines, even on the surface.
Underground exploration must only be attempted with proper clothing
and equipment in a group which includes trained and experienced explorers.

01) SW 700 501 St.Agnes Head; Wheal Coates mine, NT. Conserved
28" stamps engine house with cylinder bedstone, boiler house, 18"
whim engine house, gas engine house, reverberatory? calciner, flue &
stack. Cliff workings, level & opencuts, poss. waterwheel pit &
stamps site.  Car parks. [mmme+NT]

 SW 6886 5000 NT conserved Towanroath pumping engine house,
 site of boiler house & later horizontal pump, grilled shaft near
 cliff edge [mmme+NT]

 SW 697 494 Chapel Porth; NT car park on site of stamping mill
 is start of walk to:

 SW 698 501 Wheal Coates beach adit accessible at half tide
 (paddling). Waterfall from adit 2m above floor in end of cave.
 BEWARE fast incoming tide. [mmme+NT,DK]

02) SW 568 380 Copperhouse; Copper Smelting works, built in
1750’s to smelt in Cornwall rather than Swansea. Used ores from
Camborne and Gwennap Mines. Only remains are walls of ‘canal’
dock wharf, made of blocks of slag (‘scoriae’) & parts of the lock
gate. Large quantities of coal needed and powerful Welsh Smelters
caused the demise of the works in the 19th century. N bank to be
site of Co-op? Local church & other walls also made of slag blocks.
[YG+mmme]

03) SW 699 420 Redruth; Mining exchange in Alma place near
centre of town. Became Age Concern day centre. [YG,mmme]

04) SW 721 517 Trevaunance cove; St.Agnes harbour, wall damaged
by storm in 1915 & never repaired, since reduced to pile of granite
blocks. Above cliff are circles in grass lawn beside hotel which was
formerly warehouse, showing where 2 horse gins worked winches to
haul material from harbour below. Walls of ore storage 'hutches'.
[YG, mmm]

 SW 7216 5155 St. Agnes, Trevaunance Cove: Polberro Mine adit
 entrance. Main drainage adit for Polberro mine. Gated entrance
 beside ramp from Quay Road to beach. Output from adit mixes with
 stream water flowing down combe beside beach ramp.
 Timbering, wooden launders & flooded winzes were visible
 underground. Shaft. [YG, mmme, mmm]

 SW 719 518 Polberro; concrete leat of 1937 contours round
 headland to take water from  Polberro Tin Ltd. dressing mill
 (built near Turnavore shaft with equipment from Wheal Kitty) out
 over cliff edge. [mmme,mmm]

 SW 7192 5175 Wheal Luna; ancient openwork mining near and in
 cliff. Back-filled adit at top of cliff path steps. [mmme,mmm]

 SW 7208 5137  St. Agnes, Driftwood Spar Public House, Quay
 Road: Now Public house and hotel. Parts are a former 19th Century
 stores for local mines and other industries in area. [vis, ASAP]

 SW 717 517 Polberro Cove; Shafts & tips of Polberro mine visible
 to South. [mmme,mmm]

 SW 719 515 St. Agnes; Polberro mine Turnavore shaft 60" pumping
 engine house of 1885. Gothic window arches. Still roofed but with
 asbestos, dating from its conversion into a miner's dry in 1837.
 Engine moved to Wheal Friendly. On private land, so can only be
 seen from a distance. [mmme]

 SW 714 513 St. Agnes; Polberro mine count house, now B&B
 'Ten-re-Vras'. Adjacent to East are former blacksmith's shop
 & assay house. [mmme]

 SW 720 512 St. Agnes; Wheal Friendly 60" pumping engine house
 of 1902. Moved from Polberro Mine Turnavore shaft. Reputedly
 saved from demolition in WWII by locals. Nearby buttressed concrete
 walls of reservoir. [mmme]

 SW 720 513 St. Agnes; Wheal Friendly stone crusher loading.
 [mmme]
 SW 720 514 St. Agnes; Wheal Friendly mill: concrete walls with
 earthenware pipes for electricity cables. [mmme]
 SW 723 517 St. Agnes; Penhalls mine. [mmme]

05) SW 678 393 Treskillard; Basset Mines Ltd. West Wheal Frances
& South Wheal Frances setts. Includes Marriott's shaft:
[BM32,mmme,mmm]

 SW 6781 3936 Pascoe’s shaft, 80" pumping engine house.
 SW 6777 3930 Pascoe’s shaft; 36" whim engine house.
 SW 6745 3906 Daubuz whim/pump engine house.
 SW 6721 3912 West Wheal Frances; Smith's 24" whim engine
 house.

 SW 681  394  Marriott’s shaft area: Re-equipped to highest
 standards after fire in 1895. Smooth locked-coil steel winding rope
 used as fence. [BM32,mmme,mmm]

 SW 6802 3937 Marriott’s shaft; stone base for ore hopper &
 primary jaw crusher. Stone supplied by overhead railway from shaft.
 Crushed stone taken to stamps by tramway. Views west across
 Newton Moor of >=12 engine houses. [mmme,mmm]

 SW 6804 3937 Marriott’s shaft; granite compressor engine house
 housed Frazer & Chalmers cross-compound horizontal steam engine
 with Corliss valves, driving Riedler compressor with 2-stage air
 cylinders to drive 30 drills underground. 7 holes in base of
 external wall to reach holding-down bolts. Gap between concrete
 loadings for flywheel, condenser & probably air receiver. [mmme,mmm]

 SW 6805 3937 Marriott’s shaft; Hathorn Davey inverted vertical
 compound under-beam pumping engine house had 40" & 80"
 cylinders. Beam mounted below ground in SW slot. NE slot was for
 2nd engine, never installed. 5m diameter brick-lined shaft had space
 to lower a complete Lancashire boiler to power underground hoists!
 [mmme]

 SW 6806 3937 House for 6 Lancashire boilers. [mmme,mmm]
 SW 6809 3938 Marriott’s shaft whim. Housed cross-compound
 Holman winder with bi-conical drum. [mmme,mmm]
 SW 6810 3934 Marriott’s shaft miner's dry - 'one of the largest
 in Cornwall'. [mmme,mmm]

06) SW 688 402 Carnkie; Basset Mines Ltd. Wheal Basset, West
Wheal Basset & North Wheal Basset setts: Pumps, Whims, Stamps,
buddle floors, vanner houses, Brunton calciners. Unusually complete.
[BM32,mmme,mmm]

 SW 6815 3970 Thomas's 60" pumping engine house [mmm]
 SW 6880 4006 South Wheal Basset; Lyles 80" pumping engine
 house. [mmm]
 SW 6877 4006 Lyle's/Grace's winding engine house. [mmm]
 SW 6880 4020 Dressing floor water pumping engine house.
 SW 687  040  Wheal Basset count house; sometimes used as a
 restaurant. [mmme,mmm]

 SW 6876 4023 [North group] West Basset stamps: 1875 40" stamps
 engine house with 2ndry beam on thick rear wall for pump to
 re-circulate mill water. Drove 80 heads of stamps. Gable-ended 1906
 vanner house to S ('best surviving in Cornwall') housed 20 Frue
 vanners driven by small horizontal steam engine in southern bay of
 building. Buddle floor to South: 16 concave & convex buddles ranging
 from 1.5m to 5.5m diameter, & concrete channels. Building for 2
 Brunton calciners to West has firebricks & circular space for
 rotating hearths. No labyrinth visible. [mmme,mmm]

 SW 6912 3988 [South group] Wheal Basset stamps: 1868 Engine
 house for 2 side-by-side 30" rotative beam engines driving common
 flywheel. The cranks were apparently at 90°, which together with
 evidence of trunnion top bearing holding-down bolts, suggests
 engines were double-acting. Drove 96 heads of stamps. Evidence
 of oil stains on walls above both plug doors. From 1938 used as
 ore bin for Californian stamps, concrete loadings for which remain.
 To North, large gable-ended vanner house with loadings for ball
 mill, hydraulic classifiers, 14 James tables, 6 Isbell vanners and
 8 Frue vanners; installed in 1938 when reprocessing dumps. [mmme,mmm]

07) SW 557 373 Hayle; Harvey’s foundry, ‘Slades of Hayle’ occupy
buildings North of railway, to be demolished. [ROAR,mmme] {Update}
Demolished.

 SW 558 371 Hayle; Harvey’s foundry buildings S of railway. [mmme]
 SW 558 369 Hayle; Harvey’s foundry pond. [mmme]
 SW 558 372 Hayle; railway viaduct. [vis]

08) SW 689 443 Illogan; Tolgus Tin Company; Tin streaming here
since 1800's. In 1976 became museum of tin proccessing operated by
Madam Tussaud’s, producing small amounts of concentrate to
preserve machinery & skills. Taken over by Concord Minerals 1981
& museum closed. Stopped producing 1985. Buildings & machinery
remained in neglected state. Still extant 8/87: Waterwheel operated
12 head Cornish stamps ('best in UK' & last to work in Europe),
hydrocyclones, sand house shaking tables, slime plant settling pits,
waterwheel operated scoop wheels, wooden launders, Cornish round
frame driven by electric motor via Ford T10 gearbox, James &
Holman shaking tables, Bartles cross-belt separator, Mozley
concentrator, barrel pulverisor, ball mills, flotation cells,
shanty-style buildings. Site taken over by ‘Cornwall Gold Centre’.
Since '98 streaming plant managed by Trevithick Trust. [MTP,TTA,mmme,mmm]
{Update} Trevithick Trust dissolved 2004.

 Another firm north of Tolgus had mobile screening plant & ex ball
 mill outdoors. [vis]

 SW 6902 4304 Tolgus Calciner. Scheduled. Said to be best
 surviving example. Rotating hearth, worm drive & fireboxes in situ.
 [MTP,mmme]

09) SW 377 341 Pendeen; in 1987 museum operated by Geevor Tin
Mines plc. featured: Wethered shaft headframe, Locke waterwheel
powered stamps moved from Nancledra, wheel but not stamps turned
by motor. Main building contained models of shaft, stopes, man
engine, miners, C19th. mine buildings & 3D view of levels. Another
building housing Wethered electric winder had Trevithick collection
inc. working models of stamps & Archer Productions evocative 16
minute video. Shop with minerals, books & refreshments. [mmme]
Weekdays, gave tours of:

 SW 375 345 Pendeen; Geevor Tin Mines plc. Victory shaft sunk
 1919: vertical to 460m then sub-decline to 610m. Steel headframe
 & British Thomson Houston electric winder installed 1954. [mmm] Primary
 jaw crusher, pumped water settling tank (9000 litres per minute
 pumped out of mine). Compressor house with 1.2MPa reciprocating
 compressors & air receiver. 1000T fine ore bin. Reject grave
 conveyors. Mill: 2 Symons cone crushers, screw densifier, vibrating
 sizing screens, Newall Dunford & Hardinge ball mills, shaking
 tables, froth flotation plant (floats = copper, arsenic & iron
 sulphates, sinks = tin oxide) magnetic separator removing iron
 & manganese, rotary drying kiln, bagging area (70% grade
 in 50kg bags). 8/87: only maintenance crew underground, mill
 processing stock pile of won ore until 11/9/87. [mmme]
 {Update} Mine closed 1990. Half of mill plant scrapped.
 Completely new museum in office building started by Cornwall
 County Council & Trevithick Trust.

 SW 377 347 Pendeen, Geevor Tin Mines plc. Boscaswell Downs
 mine Treweeks shaft 411m. Headframe removed?

10) SW 648 398 Camborne; Trevithick statue in front of
Passmore Edwards library. [mmme]

 SW 647 401 Camborne, The Cross; Holman’s museum, once housed
 Rostowrack rotative pump, since moved to Wheal Martyn Museum?
 (& Trevithick collection?) Museum gone. [BP+vis]

11) SW 500 355 Nancledra, stamps in 1948 working onoriginal site,
since moved to Geevor tin mine museum & extensively restored.
[BP,vis]

12) SW 368 346 Pendeen; Levant Mine. Mined copper & tin from
c.1820 until ‘knocked’ in 1930. Geevor took over in 1960's &
plugged hole 200m out to sea where a stope from the 40 fathom
(73m) level had got too close to the sea bed. Levant workings then
connected underground with Geevor but results were poor. (Geevor
later sank decline to >610m to work very good tin ore under Levant's
old levels!) Levant levels extended 2.4km out to sea at depths of
325m, 618m, and 475m. In 1987 Skip shaft with wood-enclosed
headframe for electric winder still in use as ventilation for Geevor
Mine. [mmme] {Update} Geevor mining ended 1990.

 1835 45" pumping engine house, one of oldest in Cornwall.

 1840’s Michell whim Engine House preserved by the National
 Trust. Beam Engine, unusual in that both beam & flywheel are
 inside, possibly for shelter from Atlantic. Designed by Francis
 Michell. Built by Harveys of Hayle ~1840 (27" x 4'). Said to be
 oldest engine still operating in Cornwall. Cast iron beam may be
 from even earlier engine. Saved from scrapping 1935 by Cornish
 Engines Preservation Society which became Trevithick Society.
 Restoration begun 1985. Support column added under wooden cross-
 timber during restoration. Occasionally in steam. Winding drum
 outer bearing rusted solid in salty atmosphere, so now rotates with
 drum inside cover! Condenser cooling water in walled pond.
 Viewing used to be by arrangement with Geevor Tin Mines Plc.
 [mmme] {Update} Site now run by National Trust.

 Weaker rock of lode eroded by sea to form Levant Zawn. To East
 down miners path, adit in cliff had access to skip shaft (laddered)
 and other workings above sea level. [mmme, DK]

 SW 3699 3474 Calciner stack shortened to prevent collapse. [mmme]
 {Update} Shortened again. Only lower stone section survives.

 SW 3696 3460 Stamps: stack nearly complete, but only low walls of
 32" engine house remain. Nearby are concrete flywheel loadings &
 slime settling tank. Settling pond walls have been used for house
 building, but the red slime mud & timbers of sluices remain. The sea
 here used to be stained red by water pumped from the mines. [mmme]

 SW 3695 3448 Ornate stack & walls of compressor house built 1901
 for Holman Bros 18m long 4 cylinder cross triple compound steam
 engine (16.5" HP, 26" IP and 2x 30.75" LP), probably the largest
 Holman ever built. Used to power rock drills and underground
 haulage. Replaced with generators & motor-driven compressors in
 1920. Stack has 4 rings of light coloured brick. [mmme]

 SW 3682 3435 Short but very ornate stack with 5 rings of lighter
 coloured brick served infamous man engine. In 1919 a wrought-iron
 strap broke here and the wooden rod with a full load of men fell to
 the bottom of the shaft killing 31 and injuring 19 more. Low walls
 of boiler house & concrete floor of miner's dry nearby. [mmme]
 {Update} Spiral stairs & tunnel to man engine shaft now excavated.

13) SW 592 272 Breage; Wheal Prosper; NT preserved engine house
overlooking Rinsey Cove. Adits in nearby cliff accessible.
[GIASB,DK,mmm]

 SW 600 265 Trewavas Mine, New & Old engine houses on cliff
 edge. Back wall has large slot enabling beam to be fitted from rear.
 Worked copper under sea bed. Most active 1836-46. [YG,mmm]

14) SW 683 316 Wendron; ‘Poldark Mine’ formerly Wendron Forge
Museum; 30" Greensplat pump (c 1850 and last commercial worked
beam engine in Cornwall), moved from Holman Museum & erected
on pillar. Worked by hydraulic piston. Other engines, underground
exhibit, playground. [GIASB]

15) SW 637 389 Penponds; Trevithick’s cottage. NT, viewing by
arrangement with occupants. [NT]

16) SW 3619 3352 Botallack; Crowns Mine; Famous engine houses
perched on cliff edge. Lower one was 36" pump on Crowns engine
shaft with chimney built inside house to save space. The narrow one
was Pearce's winder for Boscawen ‘Diagonal shaft’, 797m long at an
angle of 32.5 degrees, 415m below sea level & 786m beyond cliffs.
Queen Victoria visited and a prince & princess went underground.
[MIC2+mmme+DK] {Update} Crowns engine houses conserved by
Carn Brea Mining Society 1985. [mmm]

 SW 3648 3333 Botallack; Allen's shaft: Geevor started refurbishing
 in 1980. Headframe girders on-site 1983. [mmme,mmm]
 SW 3640 3325 Botallack arsenic labyrinth remains include bridge
 over course of tramway, stack & walls of Brunton calciner. [mmme]
 {Update} Labyrinth excavated & tidied-up. Area now described as
 "The world's best preserved arsenic works." [mmm]
 SW 3643 3328 Botallack; 1908 dressing mill: concrete foundations
 of vanner floor, table floor & Californian stamps. [mmme,mmm]

 SW 362 329 Botallack; Wheal Edward. Mined for Tin, Copper,
 Bismuth, Uranium, Pitchblende and Arsenic. 2 engine houses here.
 Workings were linked to Wheal Drea and Wheal Owles (SW 364
 343). Former caused the mine to flood when holed in 1893, resulting
 in the mines closure. Had 30" engines (heavy pumping unnecessary),
 2 inclined shafts with a gradient of 1 in 3. The shaft a little way
 from the engine houses is still visible. [YG+vis,mmm]

17) SW 6724 4155 Pool; East Pool Mine Michell shaft whim, NT
preserved & operated. Last rotative beam engine built in Cornwall
(1887). Also only one of the type made by Holman Bros. (Camborne
foundry). 30" x 9' (unusually long stroke for a whim) ~17rpm, 40psi
(275kPa). Wound miners & ore from 500m deep Michells shaft. Fall
of ground in 1921 destroyed shaft so whim redundant. 1922 East
Pool mine closed. Whim left derelict & saved from WWII scrap
drive in 1941 by Arthur Treve Holman, managing director of
Holman Bros. Whim now driven by electric motor. Hornsby Cornish
boiler (rescued from old workhouse laundry in Truro) in rebuilt
boiler house used as NT centre selling books & minerals. Views of
Taylor's shaft from bob plat & South Crofty from window.
[NT+mmme,mmm]

 SW 6744 4189 Pool; East Pool Mine Taylor’s shaft pump, NT
 preserved & open. Harvey & Co. Hayle 1892, 90" x 10', 53T bob,
 moved from Carn Brea Mines 1922 & thus last Cornish engine to be
 assembled anywhere in the world. Granite engine house last built
 in Cornwall. Pumped for South Crofty until 1954. Rectangular shaft
 currently ventilating South Crofty (upcast) 730m below, together
 with Roskear shaft to west. Surface balance bob was beam of last
 complete Cornish engine built - 36" pump built by Charlestown
 Foundry 1911 for North Goonbarrow china clay works. Engine
 bought by Cornish Engines Preservation Trust whilst still working
 thanks to donation from American engineering historian Grenville
 Bath. [NT+mmme,mmm] {Update} South Crofty closed 1998. 

 SW 6745 4188 Outbuildings:
 Walls of boiler house with settings for 5 Cornish boilers - 4 in
 steam & one on standby. Pressure 50psi (345kPa).
 33m chimney with legend 'EPAL' in lighter bricks to advertise the
 popular East Pool & Agar Ltd. arsenic brand.
 Boiler house for winder: elegant building with random stone walls
 pierced with large redbrick-lined arches & clerestory ventilator in
 corrugated asbestos roof.
 Winder house with loadings for fast horizontal 22" x 4' 2-cylinder
 steam winder with Cornish valves & disc cranks.
 Compressor house with loadings for Holman air compressors driven
 by electric motors with multiple rope drives. [NT+mmme]
 {Update} Buildings re-used for Cornwall Industrial
 Discovery centre. [mmm]

18) SW 6676 4129 Camborne; South Crofty Ltd. Robinson’s shaft
pump. NT preserved. Viewing by arrangement with S.C.Ltd.
80" Sandys Vivian & Co. Copperhouse foundry 1854 cast in outdoor end
of beam. Moved 1924 & worked until 1955. ‘Mothballed’ in grease.
689m shaft in use for men & materials (downcast). Nearby are
offices, medical centre, ‘tin bonus’ sign, water tank, timber
impregnation vessel. [NT+MICT+mmme+SCM] {Update}
Robinson's shaft closed 1994. Pumping engine house door boarded-
up to prevent access. Winder house badly damaged by fire. Proposed
re-use as visitor centre and to run the engine on compressed air.

 SW 669 413 South Wheal Crofty's Bickford shaft, Palmer’s Shaft &
 count house. In 1950s Bickford's winder adapted to wind Palmer's by
 using inclined pulley to turn rope through 90°. Concrete pulley base
 remains. [mmme]

 SW 6644 4099 Camborne; South Crofty Ltd. New Cook’s Kitchen
 shaft; headframe, winding engine house & disused processing mill
 plant including heavy media separation plant & Carnon Aggregates
 plant. Fine ore bins built 1969. All ore now taken by road to Wheal
 Jane as mill there more modern. Parts of this mill taken as spares.
 All ore hoisted in this shaft: rectangular 730m deep, ore skips 7T,
 1.1MW electric winder. South Crofty Ltd. is now part of Carnon
 Consolidated (RTZ). The mine includes the old workings of New
 Dolcoath, Cook’s Kitchen, Tincroft, East Pool & Agar etc. It is
 probably the oldest tin mine in Cornwall, as it was working in 1670
 as Penhellick Vean, and probably 100 years before that. Other
 buildings include 1906 electrical sub-station, old & new compressor
 houses, generator house, blacksmith's shop & corrugated steel
 storage shed with steel flying buttresses. [MICT+mmme+SCM]
 {Update} Mine closed 1998.

 SW 6650 4060 Tuckingmill; Cook’s Kitchen mine: Chapple's 55"
 pumping engine house beside track to Carnon Aggregates. [mmme]
 SW 6654 4062 Tuckingmill; Cook’s Kitchen mine: Chapple's 26"
 whim engine house. [mmme]
 SW 6692 4071 Tuckingmill; South Tincroft mine; elegant
 compressor house & stack (Harvey 1890) [mmme]

 SW 6687 4067 Tuckingmill; South Tincroft mine; whim engine
 house (26" 1863) with cast iron cylinder mounting lug still bolted
 to stone cylinder base. Whim also drove man engine via 2nd crank,
 gearing & flat-rod. Another bolt & bracket in place. Man rod
 reputedly broke due to dry rot! Now the only surviving man-engine
 house in Cornwall. [YG+mmme]

19) SW 658 368 Copper Hill, Troon; 'Experimental mine' was
Holman Bros. test mine, now owned by Camborne School of Mines
(CSM). Walls of passages are pock-marked with drill-test holes!
[OS, mmme,mmm]

20) SW 664 389 Higher Condurrow; Grenville United South
Condurrow mine, taken over 1897 as Camborne School of Mines
training mine & renamed King Edward mine, flooded 1920 when
Grenville United closed. CSM kept surface plant & moved
underground training to Great Condurrow. Now noted as most
complete set of mine buildings from 1900 period. Sheet metal &
wooden buildings contain tin dressing plant including Frazer &
Chalmers jaw crusher & 5 head Californian stamps shown at 1900
Paris Exhibition, driven by a horizontal engine; Cornish round frame,
ball mill, dipper wheel, convex buddle, rare early wooden flotation
cell. To be developed as visitor facility. Engine Shaft whim engine
house conserved. [mmme] {Update} King Edward Mine now open to
visitors. [mmm]

 SW 662 393 Great Condurrow CSM training mine: 2 vertical shafts
 sunk 27m in 1920s. Both shafts laddered. East shaft had skips wound
 by electric winder & upcast ventilation with fan drift & Woods
 axial- flow ventilation fan. [mmme]

 SW 6606 3850 Marshall’s 60" pumping engine house. [EHA]
 SW 6600 3847 Marshall’s 26" whim engine house. [EHA]
 SW 6630 3888 Stamps engine house on King Edward’s Mine site. [EHA]
 SW 6615 3930 Great Condurrow mine, Neame’s 80" pumping
 engine house on Woolf’s shaft. [EHA]
 
21) SW 646 384 Killivose; Wheal Pendarves mine, Simms shaft
330m; sinking commenced 1968, in production 1971, became part of
South Crofty Ltd. 1973. Very wet & bad ground. Stopped 1987, but
site still occupied in '93. [MICT+vis]

22) SW 667 415 Camborne; Camborne School of Mines; geological
museum contains one of Britain’s best mineral specimen collections
including polished vein sections & fluorescence displays.
Small book shop. [vis]

23) SW 664 402 Brea; telephone wires by chapel have corks for
birds? & views of South Crofty Ltd. [mmme]

 SW 665 401 Brea; stepped convex circular buddles & views of
 South Crofty Ltd. [mmme] {Update} Excavations have revealed more
 dressing plant but stepped buddles seem to be damaged. [mmm]

 SW 665 400 Brea; Medway Tin recovery plant treating old mine
 dumps within 32km radius, then restoring sites. Gravity separation
 with electronic control. 50 employees. Stopped 1987 ?
 [mmme+MICT]

24) SW 6678 3890 Troon; Grenville United Mines Fortescue’s shaft
pumping engine house (90" Harvey) [vis]

 SW 6681 3885 Grenville United Mines Fortescue’s shaft whim
 engine house. [vis]
 SW 6663 3858 Wheal Grenville mine New Stamps engine house,
 walls of Frue vanner house [mmm]
 SW 6632 3870 Grenville United Mines Goold’s/North shaft
 pumping engine house. [EHA]


25) SW 498 378 Penderleath; China clay works: tall elegant chimney
with dressed granite base, rest mostly brick. Walls of large
pan kiln, later used to house pigs. [mmme]

26) SW 659 415 Tuckingmill, Camborne; Red River North &
downstream of South Crofty Ltd. is very red! Many dressing floors
unfortunately buried beneath new bypass. [vis+DK,mmm]

 SW 658 416 South Crofty Ltd. mill & tailings heap; good views
 from A30(T) embankment & of 2 chimneys in valley. [mmme]

 SW 660 412 Cornish Tin & Engineering Ltd. Tin streaming
 company formed 1981 to recover South Crofty tailings from river &
 process in small gravity plant. Flotation section installed 1982,
 then pipes for fine & coarse tailings laid from South Crofty mill
 to bypass river. Computer assisted. 60% recovery. 25 employees.
 [vis+MICT, mmme]

27) SW 661 410 Tuckingmill, Camborne; miner’s houses. Several
‘rows’ of miners houses & Methodist chapel. South end of Pengellys
Row has good views of South Crofty Ltd. tailings conveyor & heap.
Whim Round shaft of South Crofty here has steel headframe &
emerging pipes. [vis]

 SW 662 407 Tuckingmill valley, Camborne; mining site. Fenced
 ‘conservation area’ consists of tree saplings planted on cleared
 site of previously considerable I.A. interest. Good views of
 South Crofty Ltd. tailings. [vis]

 SW 663 405 Tuckingmill valley, Camborne; portal of South Crofty
 Ltd. Tuckingmill decline shaft started 1986. Viewing possible from
 ‘conservation area’ or road. [vis]

 SW 6618 4055 Tuckingmill Valley; approx. location of Dolcoath
 stamps, camera location for J.C.Burrows famous first photograph
 in 'Mongst Mines & Miners; looking North-East & including mines:
 New Cook's Kitchen, East Pool, Tincroft, Carn Brea, Cook's Kitchen
 & Dolcoath itself. [mmme]

28) SW 701 471 Porthtowan; Tywarnhale copper mine: started as
Wheal Rock in 1750, renamed United Hills 1809, then Tywarnhayle
('House on the Estuary'). London's Royal School of Mines (RSM)
training mine since 1907, specialising in surveying & timber
preservation. [MICT, mmme]

 SW 6954 4749 South Wheal Towan mine: white chimney. [mmme]

 SW 6975 4726 Tywarnhale copper mine; Taylor's 58" pump. Small
 building with detached stack said to have had last wooden beam
 engine built in Cornwall. Plug doorway also cylinder door, as engine
 house cut into hillside & no access behind. Bob wall sides extend to
 roof level, which may have stabilised wing walls. Pumped James'
 shaft by 350m of flat rods. Shaft later had Cornwall's first
 submersible electric pump. Building below now used by RSM
 housed gas engine powered generator. Near it is short padlocked
 shaft for student access to main drainage adit. [IASOB,mmme]

 SW 6999 4722 Tywarnhale copper mine; John's 70" pumping engine
 house 1861. 12' piston stroke unusually long. Engine moved to
 Wheal Uny in 1864. Cylinder door arch & spring beam pockets
 brick-lined. Bob wall sole plate timber in place. Large balance-bob
 pit walled. Bank with retaining wall possibly for tipping ore down
 a chute. [IASOB,mmme]

 SW 7019 4730 Tywarnhale copper mine; James' shaft: 'Crib hut' &
 150m deep shaft used by RSM students, so shaft-top boarded.
 Concrete foundation of electric winder moved & tilted. White-
 painted trig point for survey training. Shaft had been pumped by
 flat rods from Taylor's shaft 350m away. Cutting leading from
 day level once had tramway to incline. [ECM1, mmme]

 SW 7031 4730 Tywarnhale copper mine; Railway shaft: padlocked
 wooden boarding protects top of inclined? shaft. [mmme]

 SW 7033 4728 Tywarnhale copper mine; stack of crusher had brick
 section removed for safety of houses below. Can now look down on
 top of chimney from hillside. [mmme]

 SW 7015 4709 Tywarnhale copper mine; Elmore vacuum flotation
 plant building remains - world first commercial froth flotation
 plant, used when re-working dumps for copper in 1906. Concrete
 walls, loadings, tank & short stack stump. [mmme]

 SW 7034 4685 Wheal Ellen. Engine house has chimney with castellated
 top. Built 1866 for 70" pump but mine failed so engine never
 installed & went instead to Van lead mine in mid-Wales. [mmme]

 SW 7038 4703 'Navvy Pit' 1/2ha 45m deep open-work for copper
 <1833. Used as waste rock tip by Wheal Concord tin mine in 1980s!
 [ECM1]

29) SW 737 537 Perranporth, Cligga head: Many levels visible in
cliff & good exposures of greissen veins. Gated level entrances:
'Cliff adit' on wolfram mine 200 level approached via miners path
across cliff slope 30m above beach (once had handline for miners,
now great care needed); 'Beach adit' on the 300 level, just above
high tide. Miners path back up cliff. Sea stack with old workings.
Inside mine are stulls, wooden ore chutes, shaft stations, false
floors, collapses, kaolinised granite, slight mineralisation,
huge stope. [YG, mmme]

 SW 743 536 Remains of British & Colonial gunpowder works? [CE]

30) SW 515 301 Marazion, St.Michaels mount; Many mineralised
veins visible below castle because mining & even hammering for
rock samples not allowed. [OU, AE mmme]

31) SW 729 514 St.Agnes, Trevallas combe; Blue Hills. Remains of
waterwheel-powered Cornish stamps in undergrowth in valley.
[DK, ET, mmme] {Update} Stamps restored to form 'Blue Hills Tin
Streams', together with buddle, shaking table, ball mill & assay
hearth. Open to visitors. [mmm]

32) SW 351 315 Cape Cornwall, Priest’s Cove; mine adits. Adits in
cliff accessible. [DK, mmme]

33) SW 584 316 Godolphin Hill; Extensive surface remains.
Godolphin Bal, or Great Work in saddle between this hill
& Tregonning hill working 1825 to 1902. Leeds 60" pump.
[DK+HCMSAS, AE mmme]

34) SW 654 403 Camborne; CompAir Holman Ltd. (Holman Bros.)
Established 1801. Own rail sidings at construction & mining works.
Other works in Pool; CompAir Maxam Ltd. [MICT,mmm]

35) SW 570 420? Gwithian; alluvial tin working. Single-mooring
buoy, 1km pipeline storage lagoon & mill for Marine Mining
(Cornwall) Ltd. Floating dredge recovered tin-bearing sands from sea
bed e.g. off Porthtowan, using trailing suction pipe, & screens
coarse waste. When loaded with 2600T, sailed to buoy.
Unique flotation process to remove sea shells! Mining restricted by
weather to 6 months per year. [MICT, CMDA, AE, mmme]

36) SW 687 324? Porkellis Moor; alluvial tin prospect. In 1980 the
Malaysian tin mining firm, Gopeng Consolidated Ltd. had planning
permission to investigate alluvials here. [CMDA]

37) SW 6556 4099 Roskear Croft; Dolcoath Roskear shaft, became
South Crofty Ltd. New Roskear shaft; circular, 610m. Old headframe
had been  dismantled for WWII scrap. Shaft used as upcast for
Crofty together with Taylor’s shaft. [HCMSAS] {Update}
Refurbished 1994 with electric winder & became South Crofty 2nd
egress when Robinson's shaft closed 1996. [mmme,mmm]

 SW 6613 3995 Dolcoath mine; Williams shaft 2 cylinder horizontal
 traversing winding engine house.
 SW 6578 4012 Dolcoath mine; Harriet shaft 65" pumping engine
 house.
 SW 6608 4043 Dolcoath mine; New East beam whim engine house
 (also pumped water for dressing floors, using auxiliary beam).
 Converted to electrical substation. [ECM 1]
 SW 6542 3991 Stray Park mine; 65" pumping engine house.

38) SW 702 445 North Country; Wheal Peevor. engine houses for
pump, winder & stamps. 2 sets of dressing floors & a
calciner.[mmme,mmm]

 SW 7050 4407 West Wheal Peevor 22" stamps engine house.
 SW 7054 4402 West Wheal Peevor 18" winding engine house.
 SW 7064 4403 West Wheal Peevor 50" pumping engine house,
 Michell's shaft.

 SW 7060 4420 Calciners

 SW 7074 4422 Wheal Peevor 32" stamps engine house. Adapted in
 1912 to house gas engine driving Californian stamps. Bob wall
 opening supported by 2 cast-iron water pipes, badly cracked. [mmme]
 {Update} Pipes replaced with steel columns & broken-up when site
 conserved. Undergrowth removed from dressing floor, revealing
 3 convex buddles. [mmm]
 SW 7081 4422 Wheal Peevor 70" pumping engine house, George's
 shaft. Balance bob mountings and brick arch of boiler house survive.
 SW 7084 4421 Wheal Peevor 22" winding engine house.

39) SW 655 420 ? Tolvaddon Downs; Tolvaddon Stamps. [MTP]

40) SW 655 455 Portreath; Mining port served by Poldice plateway
& later the WCR Portreath branch. The Poldice tramway was the
first mineral railway in Cornwall, 1820-60, always horse drawn.
Route is now mostly a right of way. [MTP,mmme]

41) SW 7193 5043 St. Agnes, Trelawney Road; Library: Town
library and car park built on the site of Polbreen Mine's Dorcas
shaft - the large tree-covered mound with a folly on is part of
the waste tip (Cornish term: Burrow) from the shaft. This was the
main winding shaft for the mine and tapped a very rich lode known
as Dorcas lode. 'Dorcas' is reputed to be the name of a girl who
committed suicide by jumping into the shaft (by the pub) after her
fiancee died in a mining accident. [vis, ASAP, EX3]

 SW 7202 5052 St. Agnes, Vicarage road; Miners' and Mechanics'
 Institute, now used as a Community Centre. Foundation stone laid in
 1893 by John Passmore Edwards (responsible for many public
 buildings around Cornwall, especially libraries - see 10),
 commemorated in the date stone  "JPE, 1893". Has collection of old
 photos of working mines. [IASOB, vis, ASAP]

 SW 7201 5044 St. Agnes, Vicarage Road; Railway Inn: A 17th
 Century public house, originally called "The Smith's Arms"
 (a smithy was sited behind it), name changed to "The Smith's Arms
 and Railway Hotel" in 1904 when the railway line reached the
 outskirts of St. Agnes. One of the Polbreen tin mine shafts (on
 the Dorcas lode) is under the car park at the rear of the pub.
 [vis, ASAP]

42) SW 650 415 Roskear Croft; West Wheal Seton. Very successful
copper mine, later tin working failed due to poor dressing plant.
[YG]

43) SW 6950 4078 Wheal Uny; Hind's 70" pumping engine house.
Large deep rectangular open shaft.[vis]
{Update} Engine houses conserved, plaques added and shaft grilled.

 SW 6951 4073 Hind's whim engine house. [vis]

 Nearby is fenced entrance to inclined shaft in the Great Flat lode,
 30 degrees 50m, slippery slope to blind end. Another entrance leads
 via 3 short fixed ladders to another 30 degree inclined shaft.
 50m down slippery slope cross-cuts lead east & west. Another 20m
 descent leads to flooded stopes with blue copper-salt stains. [mmme]
 {Update} Blocked with domestic refuse.

 SW 696 412 St.Euny's church; Lych gate has plinth long enough to
 rest 2 or 3 coffins, said to be because of mining accidents, but may
 also have been needed during disease outbreaks. Gravestones
 commemorating mine captains, e.g. Charles Fredrick Bishop,
 Stephen Simmons, Benjamin Nicholls. Tin ingot stamps? [mmme]

 SW 691 406 Wheal Jowans(?) Tin Bounds sign. Private mine? [vis]

44) SW 6983 4035 Wheal Buller (Copper Hill); Copper Hill 40"
pumping engine house. [EHA]

45) SW 7129 4056 Lanner; Pennance mine, 50" pumping engine
house. Mine not very productive, local nick-name "Wheal Bloody Nose",
due to fights with miners from other mines. [EHA, vis]
{Update} Conserved as part of the WHS area.

46) SW 7172 4155 Buseval; Cathedral mine, Colonel's 60" pumping
engine house. [EHA]

47) SW 7174 4228 Buseval; Grambler & St.Aubyn mine, 60"
pumping engine house. [EHA]

48) SW 6564 4190 Tolvaddon; Tolvaddon stamps engine house.
[EHA]

49) SW 6748 4089 Tregajorran; Carn Brea stamps engine house.
[EHA]

50) SW 703 510? St Agnes; Wheal Bungay: Locked door in quarry
with fault wall exposures, leads to shaft with fixed ladders.
Underground levels partly flooded. [mmme]

51) SW 3568 3085 Cot Valley; Wheal Bellan mill: c.1914 concrete
remains on North side of valley near car park include buddle yard
with 1 convex buddle, table house, ore chutes, ore bins & loadings
for Californian stamps. Equipment moved to Nenagh in Ireland
(for Silvermines?). Opposite side of valley is foundation of Pelton
wheel generating electricity for mill and line of stone support
pillars for its water pipe. [mmme]
Mine shafts were to NW. Opening in valley side leads to shaft with
stemples. After SRT or Electron ladder descent, can find tall narrow
kibble, tub, wire rope, etc. [KL, mmme]

52) SW 3540 3075 Cot Valley; Wheal Hermon; several levels in
cliff. One leads to deep winzes crossed by dangerous planks.
Beware! [mmme]

53) SW 7239 5046 St. Agnes; Gooninnis or Gooninis mine, sunk as a
trial starting in 1873 with aim of reaching the rich West Kitty lode.
In 1899 a 12" horizontal winding engine by Holman Bros. of
Camborne was installed. This marked the start of the most active
period at the mine. The short surviving chimney stack was for the
whim engine boiler. By 1901 the large Cornish engine house (still
standing today, with an adjoining stack) had been built and the 50"
beam pumping engine was moved from Trevaunance mine to here.
The shaft was sunk to 132m below adit without hitting the lode.
Mine abandoned 1903. In 1910 the bob was removed to
Castle-an-Dinas near St. Columb Major and the pumping engine moved to
Goonvean China clay works, near St. Austell, where a new bob was
added. (The engine is still there, derelict in a roofless engine
house.) The engine house chimney was struck by lightning in the
winter of 1992-3. Note: The buildings are on private property
and part of a working farm. [vis, ASAP, EX3]

54) SW 7180 5168 St. Agnes, Trevaunance Point Miners path: An
interesting path and steps, carved into the cliff edge leading to an
iron chain [mmme] fixed to the cliff face - presumably a hand-line for
miners to access cliff face adits. In the cliff face of the small
cove to the west of this point there appears to be a large chamber
with stulls bridging it. A large block of rock in the sea below here
has 4 holes - level entrances in a piece of detached cliff? [mmm]

55) SW 724 513 St. Agnes; Wheal Kitty Sara's shaft 65" pumping
engine house & boiler house. Other buildings unsympathetically
re-used. [mmme,mmm]

 SW 724 514 St. Agnes; Wheal Kitty C20th dressing floor ('best
C20th example in Cornwall'): Concrete loadings for Californian
stamps & shaking tables. 2 Brunton calciners with flue to stack.
Bungalow to East is rebuilt count house. Unusual riveted
hemispherical-ended cylinder similar to boiler, but lined with
fire bricks. [mmme]

56) SW 4582 3800 Zennor; Rosevale tin mine. The only
underground mine restoration project of its kind in Cornwall.
Run by the Rosevale Historical Mining Society. Open to visitors by
arrangement. [mmme]

57) SW 421 364 Rosemergy; Carn Galver tin mine pump & whim engine
houses restored 1984. [AE mmme]

58) SW 687 477 Porthtowan cliffs; old man's levels in cliff
& extensive mineralisation. [mmme]

59) SW 629 298 Breage; Wheal Metal (New Wheal Vor): Strongly-
built 85" pumping engine house amongst workings. [AE mmm]

Mainly based on visits in 1993, with updates in curly brackets {}

Whilst every effort is made to ensure accuracy, no responsibility is
accepted by I.A.Recordings or its members for any errors in these notes,
or for the actions of any person visiting any of the sites.

The I.A.Recordings 3-DVD Production "'Mongst Mines & Mine Explorers" features many of the above sites and more can be found in the Compilation "'Mongst More Mines"!


Please let us know if you would like to know more about our MapNotes.
See the Contact Us page.