Follows the operation of Johnson Brothers steel catamaran narrowboat Milton Maid, carrying pottery on the Caldon Canal in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, in August 1988.
In the 1760's Josiah Wedgwood promoted the Trent and Mersey canal to improve the pottery trade.
In 1779 the Caldon branch was opened through Hanley and for over two hundred years it has been found cheaper and safer to use the canal than to move the fragile wares by road.
Johnson Brothers, part of the Wedgwood Group, used the Milton Maid to carry pottery from their Imperial Works to Eagle Works until June 1995, when Imperial Works closed. Now there is no commercial carrying on the Caldon Canal.
The images on this page are taken from the video.